PANNONIAN BIRD EXPERIENCE
TRADE FAIR & PROGRAMME FOR THE SPRING MIGRATION IN THE LAKE NEUSIEDL-SEEWINKEL NATIONAL PARK
… Trade Fair & Programme for Birdwatchers and those who want to become birdwatchers
… at the best time of the year – at the time of the spring migration
… an event organised by the Lake Neusiedl – Seewinkel National Park
It is the varied habitats in the lowest National Park In Austria, which attract so many species of birds – and their admirers: Europe‘s most westerly steppe lake, surrounded by a richly structured reed belt of about 180 km², a sand dam a good 20 km long, which separates the surrounding grasslands from the meadows and pools behind, treeless, but with species-rich pasture, which man has created over centuries, wetland meadows, saline pools and finally the remains of the fenland in the Hanság. Here there really is something suitable for each of the about 340 documented bird species.
The trans-frontier National Park, founded in 1993 and a total of about 300 km², is admittedly not the only nesting, refuge, rest and over-wintering area for birds in the west Pannonian region: A short flying distance away from Lake Neusiedl lie lowland rivers and thick deciduous forests, dry grassland and loess walls – and not just in the remarkably numerous reserves in East Austria, West Hungary and in the Little Carpathians in Slovakia.
What makes the natural environment of Lake Neusiedl so attractive in the international birdwatching scene is therefore not just the opportunity to observe and photograph rare species of birds right through the year, but also to get close to them in similar ecosystems or those which are quite different in their species diversity. And it is also for this reason that the National Parks, nature reserves and in this region the active nature conservation organisations are important partners for the Lake Neusiedl – Seewinkel National Park, in their programming decisions for the BirdExperience as in practical nature conservation.
17. - 25. April 2021
- 500m² Indoor exhibition area in the National Park Information Centre in Illmitz with exhibitors from the fields of Long-range Optics & Nature Photography, Reserves & NGOs, Pleasure, Travel & Books, Outdoor Clothing & Experiencing Nature equipment
- Optics test time at the Illmitzer Zicklacke – a one-off opportunity to compare long-range optics and camera products
- Lectures on current themes concerning bird conservation and birdwatching
- Bird ringing live! Lecture at hourly intervals & live ringing with explanation
- BirdExperience – the Next Generation, the BEX children’s programme
- Excursions: Several daily excursions take you into the National Park and in the surrounding areas, as far as Hungary and into Slovakia
- Workshops on technical and nature photography from professionals for beginners up to more advanced participants
- Evenings in the tavern: Let the evening end pleasantly and informatively!